We found a number of websites with tips on decluttering you space. Here are some of your favourite ideas summarized below.
15 Great Decluttering Tips on zenhabits.net, suggests implementing a clothing rule: if you haven’t worn an item in 6 months, sell or donate it. Another idea is creating a one-year box. Take all your items that you haven't used in a while and don't know if you should get rid of and put them in a box, seal it and date it for 1 year in the future. When the date comes, and you still haven't opened it, donate the box.
Impulse buyer? Keep a list labelled “Don’t Need It – Don’t Want It.” When you run across some kind of item you crave, note it down on the list. This will slow you down long enough to reconsider.
Apartmenttherapy.com also has some great decluttering tips in its piece Pro-organizer tips: What not to do when decluttering your home. The article suggests organizing items before purchasing storage pieces and supplies so that you will know exactly what you need for each space. How about making decluttering not just a spring activity but a daily or weekly one? Another Apartmenttherapy.com post 5 Strategies for Decluttering recommends doing a little bit of decluttering each day. Try to take 10-15 minutes in your day to focus on at least one small space or project.
Once you have decluttered, give your unwanted, in good condition items a second life by donating them to an organization or charity. Check out the Reuse Centre's list of acceptable items or the Reuse Directory to learn where you can donate them.
So now that you have decluttered, here are some ideas on how to get organized:
- Plastic storage bins are ideal for organizing as they are durable and come in a variety of sizes. Larger containers can be used to store seasonal decorations and smaller containers are perfect for organizing craft supplies.
- Sort small household items into shoeboxes. They can be decorated with paper to match any room and are easily stackable in a closet or corner.
- Coffee tins are another neat way to keep all of your smaller items organized. Perfect for storing pens, pencils and other school supplies and they can be decorated too!
- Wicker baskets are stylish ways to keep things tidy and organized. Baskets are great for storing magazines, toys, or blankets.
This is what we gathered through our research. Hopefully they will help you through your spring cleaning. If you have any tips, suggestions or helpful hints, please share them below!!
- Hayley (Staff) and Vanessa (Volunteer)