Add a little touch of Halloween or straight up bibliophile glamour to your fall outfit with these recycled spell books, even the smallest amount of paper, card and leather can make one of these. So why not make a few and wear them all together?
What you'll need:
- Small piece of scrap leather, the more wrinkled and aged the better
- Small scrap of cardboard (hard back of a notebook would do fine)
- 1 piece of letter-sized printer paper
- Scrap of decorative paper
- 1 O ring
- Gold Sharpie pen (permanent marker)
- Hot glue gun
- Bull dog clip/bag clip
- Needle (to punch a hole)
- Yellow pages (to lean on)
1. Take one piece of printer paper (A4 if you're in the UK) cut it into 1 inch slices along the width of the paper. Divide the paper up into 5 smaller pieces which should measure roughly 1& 3/4 inches across. I used N.American letter-sized paper which I know is different to A4 so you'll have to play around with the sizes. Make a big pile of these rectangles then fold them in half and squeeze them with a bag clip/bulldog clip. All of the folded 'spines' should be facing the same side and that side should be poking out of the clip.
2. From the cardboard cut 2 rectangles, 7/8ths of an inch by 1 1/4 inches, these will be the front and back of the book, the spine should measure roughly 5/8ths by 1 1/4 inches.
5. Taking a scrap of decorative paper, draw around the book cover, depending on how large a gap you left the measurement for this will vary. Add double sided tape to the decorative paper and stick to the book cover, either side is fine.
Have fun wearing your new necklace!
- Emma (Volunteer)